Commercial Electric Water Heater
Provides Tepid Water For Emergency Fixtures
The Hubbell Model EMV water heater is a packaged system designed to meet the requirements of ANSI/ISEA Z358.1-2014 for tepid water delivery to an emergency drench system. This heavy duty water heater is constructed of a carbon steel tank and internally lined with 1/2" thick Hydrastone cement to ensure tank longevity when operating at elevated temperatures, and is fully insulated with 3" thick polyurethane foam to minimize stand-by heat loss.
The water heater is packaged with a mixing valve specifically designed, tested and proven for use in emergency safety shower/face/eyewash applications. The entire package including the mixing valve is factory piped and mounted to the water heater to provide single source responsibility.
When you specify and install a Hubbell Model EMV, you will have the confidence in knowing that the owner will be provided with a long lasting, safe and dependable source of tepid water for their emergency drench system needs.
- How It
- Sizing &
- Formulas &
Heavy Duty Construction
- Hydrastone cement lining provides tank longevity
- Copper-silicon alloy tappings cannot rust or corrode
- High impact composite jacket cannot rust or corrode and eliminates potential damage during installation and transit
- 3" thick polyurethane foam insulation reduces standby heat loss by over 24% compared to industry standard 2" insulated tanks
- Factory packaged and piped mixing valve simplifies installation and ensures the safe and reliable supply of tepid water
- All electrical operating controls are factory selected and wired to ensure reliable operation
- Dial gauge provides visual indication of water temperature and pressure
- Mixing valve designed specifically for emergency drench systems ensures a constant flow of tepid water
- Mixing valve prohibits delivery of overheated water to prevent scalding
- Provides tepid water even when an accident causes a loss of electric power
- Reduces the risk of Legionella because water is stored at an elevated temperature
- Full five (5) year non pro-rated tank warranty
- Each valve is performance tested at the factory to ensure proper operation
Packaged with the Hubbell model EMV is a triple redundant, thermostatic pressure balanced valve designed specifically for emergency safety shower/face/eyewash applications. The valve is factory mounted and piped to the water heater. After water flow is activated at the emergency station, the outlet water temperature from the model EMV package will be maintained at 85°F tepid temperature. The Hubbell EMV is able to achieve the high volume demand required for a safety drench system by mixing the 170°F water in the tank with incoming cold water. The mixing valve meets OSHA and ANSI requirements and is capable of providing constant 85°F output regardless of inlet pressure and temperature variations, and the temperature setting is tamper proof and cannot be inadvertently adjusted in the field. The water temperature is not warm enough to open skin pores and not cold enough to deter usage. The valve is capable of providing a full range of flows from the smallest flow of 0.4 GPM for an eyewash to the combined 23 GPM flow for a simultaneous demand of shower, eyewash, and face wash system.
The mixing valve incorporates a pressure sensing controller with a valve actuator that senses the water pressure on both the hot and cold water inlet connections. If hot water pressure is not present then the actuator overrides the mixing valve and a flow of cold water is allowed. If no cold-water pressure is available at the mixing valve inlet then the hot water port will close to prevent overheated water from exiting the mixing valve. The valve also includes a safety override feature that continuously senses the final mixed water temperature. If the final water temperature is overheated, the valve automatically closes the hot water port and fully opens the cold water port. In any of these fault conditions, the Hubbell EMV valve will continue to provide a full flow of water as per the ANSI standard with no additional pressure drop.
OSHA 29 CFR 1910.151 states the following:
When the eyes or body of any person may be exposed to injurious corrosive, toxic, or flammable materials, suitable facilities for quick drenching or flushing of the eyes and body shall be provided within the work area for immediate emergency use.
ANSI/ISEA Z358.1-2014 states the following:
Delivered flushing fluid temperature shall be tepid. This standard also establishes minimum performance and use requirements for eyewash and shower equipment for the emergency treatment of the eyes or body of a person who has been exposed to injurious materials.
- The shower must have a minimum of 20 GPM at 30 psi for 15 minutes of controlled flow [Para 4.1.3]
- The eyewash must have a minimum of 0.4 GPM at 30 psi for 15 minutes of controlled flow [Para 5.1.6]
- The eye/face wash must have a minimum of 3.0 GPM at 30 psi for 15 minutes of controlled flow [Para 6.1.6]
- Units must meet all individual performance requirements when all components are operated simultaneously [Para 7.1]
- In circumstances where chemical reaction is accelerated by flushing fluid temperature, a facilities safety/health advisor should be consulted for the optimum temperature. [Para 6.4.6]
How Does the Hubbell Unit Achieve these requirements?
The Hubbell EMV water heater system provides high volume tepid water for safety drench systems by integrating a specially designed mixing valve with a high quality cement lined electric storage water heater. The model EMV is designed to maintain 119 gallons of water at 170°F. The volume of water at this temperature is necessary to achieve the final flow rate of 23 GPM for 16 minutes of tepid water. When an emergency drench apparatus is used, the integrated mixing valve blends 170°F water from the tank with incoming cold water to achieve a continuous flow of approximately 85°F tepid water to operate simulataneously a safety shower and an eye/face wash fixture.
- The carbon steel tank is internally lined with specially formulated hydrastone cement and does not require anodic protection. This lining is critical to the longevity of the tank when storing hot water at elevated temperatures.
- The mixing valve is specifically designed for emergency safety drench systems and is factory piped and packaged with the water heater tank to simplify installation and ensure a safe and dependable system.
- The Hubbell EMV Model has 3" foam insulation which reduces stand-by heat losses by over 24% compared to 2" insulated tanks. This provides the owner with a highly efficient and economical solution for emergency drench systems.
- Unlike instantaneous heaters, the Hubbell model EMV is unaffected by the loss of electric power in its ability to provide tepid water. Furthermore, the dial temperature gauge provides the operator with positive visual verification that the unit is at temperature.
Model EMV Water Heater Specifications
Standard: 5 Year Non Pro-Rated
Optional: 10 Year Non Pro-Rated
Model EMV Dimensional Data
|Storage Capacity (Gallons)||Base Model Number||Dimensions (Inches)||Shipping Weight (Lbs)|
|Diameter "A"||Height "B"||Floor to Inlet "C"||Floor to Outlet "D"||Piping Height "E"||Mixing Valve "F"|
Formulas To Solve For:
|Watts||Recovery Rating in GPH 50-170°F||Amperage Ratings Single Phase Voltages|
|120 V||208 V||240 V||277 V||480 V|
- Low temperature alarm dry contacts (alarm temperature is adjustable from 30-110°F)
- Hi temperature alarm dry contacts (alarm temperature is the hi-limit set point, which is adjustable from 100-240°F)
- Outdoor weather package includes a 304 Stainless Steel outer protective jacket, weather resistant NEMA 4 electrical housing, NEMA 4/4X enclosure surrounding the mixing valve and 6" high 304 stainless steel tank legs to raise the entire unit off the floor
- Flow alarm indicator to signal that there is tepid water flow (requires 120v)
- Explosion resistant construction for installation in a hazardous location. Standard is Class 1 Division 2, Group B. If application requires other please specify Class, Division and Group rating required.
- Three Phase voltage available
- ASME tank construction
- Alternate mixing valve tepid water set temperature 75°F. Note: 85°F is standard set temperature. Mixing valves are not intended to be field adjustable
- Mount and pipe multiple (two or three) storage tanks on one skid to meet the needs of larger demand systems
- NEMA 4X enclosure provides added protection for the mixing valve in outdoor environments. Optional: Enclosure air purge fittings and stainless steel inlet fittings for corrosive environments
- Alternate heating source. Factory installed heat exchanger to utilize steam or boiler water
- Integrally welded seismic attachment points.
- All hot and cold water piping on the heater package to be heat traced from the factory for freeze protection, to include an insulation jacket for the thermostatic mixing valve. Please note that all external piping to the heater need to be heat traced in the field.
Model Number Designation EMV
119 U.S. Gallons
1.5, 3, 4, 4.5, 6
SL = Hydrastone Cement lined tank
SS = Solid stainless steel tank
CS = Solid copper-silicon tank
A = 120-1-60
RS = 208-1-60
R = 208-3-60
S = 240-1-60
T = 240-3-60
W = 277-1-60
T3 = 380-3-50/60
T7 = 415-3-50/60
T5 = 440-3-60
T4 = 480-3-60
T4S = 480-1-60
T6 = 600-3-60
Model EMV emergency tepid water delivery system with a storage capacity of 119 Gallons, 85°F set point of the mixing valve and a 3 KW rating. Storage tank is lined with Hydrastone cement and operates at 240 Volts single-phase power.
- Model EMV Brochure PDF (1.6 MB)
- Model EMV AIA/Master Spec PDF (99 KB)
- Model EMV AIA/Master Spec DOC (60 KB)
- Model EMV Written Spec PDF (755 KB)
- Model EMV Written Spec DOC (28.0 KB)
- Model EMV Electric PID PDF (28 KB)
- Model EMV Steam Fired PID PDF (34 KB)
- Model EMV O&M Manual PDF (848 KB)
- Model EMV Bulletin PDF (1.9 MB)
Many of our products literature is available online for download. To open these files, a PDF viewer is required. If you do not have one, Adobe provides Acrobat Reader free of charge for viewing only. Use this link to download Acrobat Reader. You may also choose to download the file to your PC for future reference or printing. On most operating systems, simply right-click on the links below, choose "Save target as..." or "Save link as...", choose a location and it will save the document to your computer for future reference.