Tankless On Demand Electric Water Heater
Available up to 54 KW Single or Three Phase Voltages
The Hubbell MTX Tankless model is a highly reliable and easily maintained electric water heater designed for operation in a marine application. The Hubbell MTX Tankless is compact, highly efficient, takes up minimal space, reduces operating costs. Hubbell's vast experience, meticulous engineering, and advanced manufacturing processes ensure that you can rely on the MTX Tankless for your water heating needs in even the most demanding and critical applications. It makes sense to specify and install a Hubbell MTX Tankless model for your heating requirements, and as the owner you will be provided with a quality product that is long lasting, trouble-free, and energy efficient.
- How It
- Sizing &
- Formulas &
- American Bureau of Shipping (ABS) Type Approved
- ABS Approval eliminates costly delays and uncertainties during ship inspection
Heavy Duty Construction
- Simple to specify and easy to operate
- Factory wired electrical controls provide trouble-free installation and operation
Weight and Space Saving
- Significantly reduces weight and saves sapce compared to storage tank water heaters
- On demand heating eliminates costly and cumbersome storage tanks
- Instantaneous design reduces stand-by heat loss and lowers operating costs
- Engineered for your specific application to ensure reliable operation
- Constructed with high grade materials to ensure long operating life
The Hubbell Model MTX electric tankless water heater contains high powered heating elements that heat water only when there is demand for hot water. When hot water is needed, a built in flow sensor measures the exact flow rate, and that data combined with temperature readings at the heater's inlet and outlet are processed by the electronic temperature controller. This data is continously transmitted to the temperature controller, which constantly calculates the precise amount of power (kW) needed to achieve the desired temperature. A zero cross over firing signal is sent to the fast acting triacs in order to modulate the heating elements to the precise level needed to meet demand. The Hubbell tankless heater uses only as much power as is needed, while delivering accurate and consistent hot water temperature.
Model MTX Water Heater Specifications
MTX: 3/4" Dielectric Union Copper Sweat
MHX: 1" Dielectric Union Copper Sweat
MTX: 0.2 GPM Min, 8.0 GPM Max
MHX: 0.5 GPM Min, 40 GPM Max
A sophisticated electronic temperature controller with LED digital display provides the user interface. The temperature controller processes all flow and temperature data and calculates the precise amount of power needed to meet demand.
|Operator Control Capabilities|
|Power Limiting:||Allows the operator to reduce the power consumption by any percentage to provide installation and operational flexibility and savings.|
|Diagnostics:||Display inlet and outlet temperatures, flow rate and error codes to assist in troubleshooting.|
|Cost Calculator:||Determine the exact cost of operating the heater. Input your cost per KWÂ·Hr and the controller displays total KWÂ·HRs consumed, total cost of operation, and total hot water usage (shown in gallons or liters).|
|Temperature Control:||Set the digital display to the desired water temperature in °F or °C.Â Fully adjustable in 1° increments from 32-194°F (0-90°C). A user adjustable +/- 3° calibration feature provides additional control for superior accuracy.|
Each heating element is switched on/off using a fast acting solid state triac with zero cross over firing control. This switching schema provides full modulation of each heating element, ensuring that the precise amount of heat is added to meet demand. To improve operating efficiency and component longevity, each triac is mounted to a heat sink located on the incoming supply piping so that heat generated by the triac during the switching process is dissipated into the water.
All Hubbell tankless water heaters, including all 3 phase models, are engineered to operate as a balanced load and operate at 0.999 Power Factor. All Hubbell 3 phase models are designed for 3 wire (3 live, 1 ground) and 4 wire power systems and draw equal current across all conductors to maintain the power integrity of the users electrical system. Hubbell does not recommend the use of heaters that operate as an unbalanced load, as is common with staged heaters designed for star systems (3 live, 1 neutral, 1 ground) that require use of the neutral leg.Â All load switching in Hubbell tankless models is performed as zero cross over, eliminating phase angle firing interference and associated EMI issues.
The Hubbell tankless control schema ensures that usage is equalized across all heating circuits. To achieve this, once the controller has calculated the precise amount of kW required, all circuits are energized in a staggered fashion such that each circuit is proportionally and independently energized and then time staggered between circuits. This Full Resource Staging Schema reduces EMI output, increases component longevity, and provides highly accurate and consistent hot water temperatures.Â For three phase models, all circuits are fully modulated and synchronized to operate as a balanced load.
Remote Control:Ability to remotely enable or inhibit the heating operation of the unit using one of the following two methods:
1. Customer supplied 24VDC signal is user configured for either Inhibit Mode or Normal Operation Mode.
2. Customer supplied volt free contact is user configured for either Inhibit Mode or Normal Operation Mode.
Priority Control: An integrated SPDT potential free dry contact (NO/NC 10A @ 240VAC) energizes when the unit is heating and de-energizes when not heating. This feature is useful when it is desirable to give the water heater priority over another electrical load to ensure that both are not operational at the same time.
Outline Dimensions and Model Selection
8-27 KW Models (2 and 3 Element)
|Base Model Number||KW Selection Chart|
|KW||3 Phase Voltages||1 Phase Voltages|
- Chart indicates three element (3) and two element (2) model types
- Additional 440V 3Φ sizes available including 5, 6, 7 and 13 KW
24-54 KW Modles (6 Element)
|KW Selection Chart|
|KW||3 Phase Voltages||1 Phase Voltages|
Heating Capacity and Amperage Chart
|KW Rating||Heating Capability in GPM at °F Temperature Rise (°FΔT)||MAX Amps (at 100% heater output)|
|3 Phase Voltages||1 Phase Voltages|
Unshaded flows specify Base Model MTX, shaded flows must specify Base Model MHX due to high flow rate.
Alternate voltages including 277, 380, 415, 460 and 575 volt available. Please contact us directly for exact KW availability in these voltages.
Step 1KW Requirement:
________ GPM x ________ °FΔT x 0.00244 = ________ KW
________ KW x 410 ÷ ________ GPM _________ °FΔT
________ KW x 410 ÷ ________ °FΔT = __________ GPM
Step 2Choose the Tankless model with the KW rating which meets the peak demand (GPM) and required temperature rise (°FΔT) for your application.
Step 3Choose the supply voltage available. Note the maximum amperage draw of the unit and verify availability.
Voltage De-Rating Factors
|Rated Voltage||Applied Voltage||De-Rating Factor|
|600 V||575 V||92%|
|600 V||550 V||84%|
|480 V||460 V||92%|
|240 V||230 V||92%|
|240 V||220 V||84%|
(Applied Voltage² ÷ Rated Voltage²) x Rated KW = KW output at applied voltage
- High flow construction specify model MHX for up to 40 GPM flow (min 0.5 GPM actuation)
- Type 316L stainless steel heating chamber for added corrosion resistance
- Special construction features available
- Inlet/Outlet assembly simplifies installation and includes unions, shut offs, checkvalve, drain and pressure relief valve
- NEMA 4x construction when heater is located in a wet environment. Overall dimensions 24" x 20" x 6"
- Heating chamber built to ASME Section VIII and "UM" stamped
- Remote Control Display allows the heater to be installed in remote location. The 3" x 5" NEMA 4 display enclosure can be located up to 250' from the heater and gives the operator full remote control and monitoring capabilities
- Optional Inlet/Outlet union for connection to IPS pipe sizes. Specify customer connection as sil-braze or NPT
- Special construction for use onboard Military Naval Vessels including shock, vibration and EMI qualifications
- Factory supplied manifold single point connection for redundancy and high demand applications
Model Number Designation MTX
Base Model No:
MTX = 8 GPM Max
MHX = 40 GPM Max
5 thru 52KW
(005 - 054)
RS = 208-1-60
R = 208-3-60
S = 240-1-60
T = 240-3-60
T3 = 390-3-50/60
T7 = 415-3-50/60
T5 = 440-3-60
T4 = 480-3-60
T6 = 600-3-60
A Hubbell tankless electric water heater rated at 27 KW with a total of 3 heating elements when powered with 440 volt, three phase, 60 Hz.
- Model MTX Brochure PDF (3.3 MB)
- Model MTX Written Spec PDF (771 KB)
- Model MTX Written Spec DOC (26.0 KB)
- Model MTX O&M Manual PDF (1.6 MB)
- Tankless Low Lead Certificate PDF (546 KB)
- Model MTX ABS Approval Certificate PDF (247 KB)
Many of our products literature is available online for download. To open these files, a PDF viewer is required. If you do not have one, Adobe provides Acrobat Reader free of charge for viewing only. Use this link to download Acrobat Reader. You may also choose to download the file to your PC for future reference or printing. On most operating systems, simply right-click on the links below, choose "Save target as..." or "Save link as...", choose a location and it will save the document to your computer for future reference.